Monday, October 30, 2017

An Experiment Of Sorts













I didn't sleep well the other night. It was one of those times that I tossed and turned, and couldn't shut my mind off, no matter what. It was around five in the morning when I finally started to doze off, and then I woke up at seven, exhausted and wondering how I would make it through my day.

But I did have plenty of time to think while I lay awake, and a frozen turkey that had been sitting in the little chest freezer in the garage kept coming to mind. After a warm shower and a hot coffee that made me feel so much better, I pulled the turkey out to roast ...

I must add that I have no idea how old that turkey was. It was frozen rock solid, though, and looked pretty good when I unwrapped it. I really hate wasting food. I decided that if it tasted bad, we wouldn't eat it. Into the oven it went.

I usually roast my turkeys frozen, it can be done, really. Of course the directions always make it look so simple, and it isn't always simple. You have to roast it awhile and then try to get the frozen neck and giblets out, and they don't always cooperate. After multiple unsuccessful attempts to get them out of the cavity this time, I just gave up and roasted the turkey until it was done.

It wasn't bad! The skin tasted a little of freezer burn, but the meat was quite tasty. And while I was at it, I decided to make a true dinner of it and baked some sweet potatoes in the air frier and some green bean casserole in the little crockpot, something I had my doubts about but will definitely do again in the future. I also found a bag of fresh frozen cranberries and simmered up those.

Then I ordered some silicon gloves to wear the next time I roast a frozen turkey. Maybe I'll be able to get those giblets out without burning my hands, you never know.

I love cleaning out my freezer ...

2 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving came early to your house! I think I also have a turkey (or two) in my chest freezer that need to be used up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had a lot of turkey goodness to eat this week, that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!