Thursday, May 31, 2012

Weeding the Garden

I decided I couldn't put off weeding the flower garden any longer! It's difficult for me to distinguish between the flowers and the weeds early in the season, but I decided that most of what was growing in there was weeds, and so out they went. There is some buckthorn, nasty stuff, growing along the back side of the garden, and it's crowding out the light of the sun. Buckthorn is tricky to get rid of. Today Debbie told me about the "Boy Scout Way", something about cutting the plant down as close to the root as possible and then letting what's left soak up some kind of pesticide. She said I would need to google it for more specifics and maybe I will, but I do try to avoid chemicals, so I'll have to give that more thought.I think it looks a little better after weeding. I've been trying to grow a perennial flower garden for years, and I'm never quite satisfied with the way it looks. Maybe it's not neat enough, I don't know. More wood chips might help, too.
While I was out there, I picked some more rhubarb and I'll try to make another rhubarb dessert tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!