Thursday, June 6, 2019

Routines



















So last night was one of those nights when sleep didn't want to come, and then when morning finally arrived, I was tired. But, coffee does help in these situations, so I had a mug, and decided that the next best thing to do was to just get on with my day.

I thought maybe I'd try to get a few things done around the house before things started to get steamy. I opened a couple of windows (for the kitties, of course 😉), then went upstairs to tackle the bathroom off our bedroom. I'd been thinking about this for quite some time (I'm a little embarrassed to admit) but there's always something more appealing to do instead, and it just couldn't ever get done. It took awhile, but I was able to shine that little room up, and it even smelled clean. Then I vacuumed up all the cat hair and dust bunnies that had taken over the first floor. It felt good.

I started to remember when I would follow Flylady for inspiration. How many years ago, I have no idea, time is so elusive these days ... but, it was all about taking an hour or so a week to Bless Your House, and it included things like shining your kitchen sink, making your bed, and vacuuming the house as quickly as you could. Perfection was not the goal. Good enough was good enough.

It was all about establishing routines. And once the routines were established, life got better.

And then I had a lightbulb moment ... I love routines. Routines work well for me, and they make me feel like I can accomplish things. I'm no longer that person with the Night Owl energy, but I can get some routines done in the early morning hours when things are cool, and peaceful, and fresh, and new. It was an amazing thought. Perhaps routine takes away the feeling of being overwhelmed.

It's worth a try, anyway.

I'll probably try to do some thinking about figuring out suppers in the early morning hours, too, but more about that later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!