Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Cabin Time



















Our new neighbor up at the lake was looking over our yard, and mentioned that we had a pretty good set up. And he's right! It's only a two hour drive to get there, much more manageable than a three hour drive somewhere. And a couple of days with an overnight works out well for me, with the fur babies and mom back at home to watch over.

It was really lovely weather last weekend. The honeysuckle and lilacs were in full bloom, with butterflies and bumble bees all over them. Hundreds of dragonflies were hanging around the deck, probably working hard to take care of mosquitoes. I didn't mind them at all as they weren't bothering us.

We went for a boat ride slowly along the shore, and visited the little bay area where mom and dad's cabin used to be. Bruce went out on a late night fishing expedition with Lonny, and returned with two nice sized walleyes that I panfried up for lunch the next day. He mentioned that the way they fished reminded him of how Dad used to fish, trolling in shallow waters. Dad was a good fisherman. I decided that I prefer to fish off the dock with my pink reel (purchased for a "breast awareness campaign" some years ago) fishing pole, and rubber lures for bait. I caught a rock bass, which is always a thrill as they usually put up a good fight, and then released him gently back into the water. I learned how to take fish off the hook from watching a fishing show once, and it's really not too hard to do if they haven't swallowed the bait!

I made pork chops on the grill, and we ate on the screen porch.

I heard a couple of crows talking to each other, a different sound than when you hear just one cawing in the distance. Kind of cool.

And waking up in the early morning was peaceful. It had cooled down during the night, and the lightweight blanket we had on the bed was just right.

I think maybe we try to get away every week if we can ...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!