Sunday, December 11, 2011

Homemade Dog Food





I've been experimenting with making homemade dog food for Jessie.

Last week, after a little looking around on the Internet, I decided to give it a try. At least for one meal a day, breakfast is still dry kibble from the store. I call it her cereal. Anyway, I steamed some brown rice, cooked some carrots, and browned some hamburger. Bruce said that any man would be proud to eat such a dinner, let alone a dog. He's so polite sometimes. And it did actually look and smell good.

Today I made more using some chicken I had in the freezer that needed to be used up. I also decided to add some scrambled eggs to boost the protein as there just didn't seem to be that much chicken after it cooked down. Brown rice and frozen green beans rounded out the meal. And, my rice cooker and steamer worked out well this time as I cooked both the rice and beans at the same time. Jessie seemed appreciative of my efforts.

Today's endeavor made eight meals, which I put in zip lock bags to be stored in the freezer. I was pretty proud of myself.

Since she seems to be such an itchy, twitchy dog, I've always wondered if Jessie has some food allergies. I guess time will tell if the homemade food helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!