Monday, April 13, 2020

Still Easter












It was just Bruce and me here for Easter this year. The state is still under a Shelter In Place order, and we're doing our best to be compliant. Mom's assisted living facility is on lockdown, and so she's stuck there, too. Mark stayed home and made himself a boneless chicken breast in a cast iron skillet with wild rice pilaf and green beans! Strange times.

So, it did feel different this year.

Churches are closed, but there were services online, and we ended up watching the Easter service for Bethlehem Lutheran on my laptop. It was actually quite nice. The music was calming, and the sermon was calming, too. We even had our own little congregation of cats with us while we watched from the sofa in front of the fireplace! 😼

It snowed about 6 inches ...

I had a big ham shank to put in the oven. I'm not sure why I bought it. Maybe I was hopeful that things might change, or maybe I was in denial, I don't really know. We've had Easter dinner here for so many years now, that it seemed like the thing to do. I guess we'll have some leftovers for soups and such, though, and tonight Bruce made us ham and cheese omelettes with orange marmalade jam smeared over the top, yummy.

We also had a baked sweet potato that we split, some broccoli with cheese sauce, mandarin orange jello, and deviled eggs.

In the evening, we watched a live performance online of our friend, Leroy, playing guitar and singing.

It was a different kind of Easter, but still Easter.

And as probably the whole world is doing, I am yearning for things to go back to the way they were. I  want to believe that the world will be able to open up again, and the fears of this pandemic will fade away. I also wonder if that's totally possible as I think we've all changed from this. Only time will tell.

Again, I do know that there is still much to be grateful for, and I am going to really try and focus on those things. After all, Easter is all about life and hope! And, family! I really missed my people yesterday, but they are still in my life. Just a bit more from a distance. And hopefully, we'll all be together again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!