Monday, September 16, 2019

Surprisingly Satisfactory



So our house has been starting to smell like, well, animals.

Of course that shouldn't be too much of a surprise since we have animals, and have had animals for many years. And it's the time of year when things are kind of humid, which has a tendency to make you notice things even more.

Plus our carpets are old!

It's been thirty years since they were installed, and I guess they really don't look too bad considering everything. I'm thinking that they must have been pretty good quality in the first place, and I've tried to keep them clean by encouraging people to take off their shoes inside the house, and then try to clean up "pet situations" as soon as possible.

And, I suppose I could have rented a carpet cleaner. Why do I resist these things? I even had five different people try to tell me that's what I should do. But, being me, I did some reading and discovered some homemade carpet cleaning solutions that looked appealing.



Bruce was out of town on his Annual Male Bonding Fishing Trip, so the house was mine. And when I'm home alone, I have a tendency to dream up big ideas ...

I went to the Dollar Tree, and found all that I needed to mix up a batch. They even had little bottles of Tide, Oxiclean, and Downy, and huge bottles of Awesome Cleaner, gotta love the Dollar Tree. I splurged and bought new sponges, too.



It smelled wonderful when it was all put together, and I was in such a hurry to get started that I didn't even do the 24 hour test on an inconspicuous spot (I guess that could have been a mistake, but it turned out alright in the end). I adjusted my attitude, and told myself that this method of elbow grease was not a bad thing. After all, it was movement and exercise is good for me. 😂



I began at the top of the stairs. Got down on the floor and started to spray, then lightly scrubbed with the rough side of a new sponge. I made my way down the stairs, then turned on a fan to dry things out. It looked much cleaner, and smelled much fresher, and I was pleased.

The next day, I looked at the living room carpet. The excitement of doing the stairs had run out, and my arms were tired. I saw the kitties sleeping in their usual spots in the room, and kept putting it off because they looked so peaceful. But at the end of the day, things must be reckoned with, and I made myself get going.

When I was done, I threw away the sponge. I still have a bottle of carpet cleaner left, and I think it will work just fine on any new pet situations.

Do I think I will ever do this again? Probably not. 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!