Saturday, September 14, 2019

Rainy Road Trip




















We had a little adventure last weekend when we drove to Wahpeton, North Dakota.

A son of one of Bruce's fishing buddy's was getting married, and we were invited!

We had some extra time on our drive up, and so stopped for lunch at a little cafe in Freeport. I noticed that one of their daily specials was a Hot Beef Commercial, which is basically a hot beef sandwich of chuck roast on top of mashed potatoes on top of a slice of bread and then gravy on top of it all. (the first time I had even heard about such a thing, was when Kat told me that her dad wanted them served at her mom's funeral lunch). I thought about getting it, but then saw they had sausage gravy and biscuits, and so that's what I had, along with a side of bacon. Yummy.

Next door to the Cafe, was an old sign for a Supper Club! It wasn't open at the time, so I couldn't take a look inside, but I do have a thing for Supper Clubs. It would seem that Supper Clubs tend to present themselves as fine dining, and maybe this one was that, but it just happened to have an old sign. I do get excited whenever I see a Supper Club.

And then it started to rain. And rain. And rain.

We checked into the Wahpeton Travel Lodge, had a cup of coffee to warm up, and changed our clothes.

Maybe we should have put a little more thought into what we were going to wear, though. The reception truly was in a barn, and way out in the country, and we saw a lot of people wearing cowboy boots. And the grass was wet, and my little black shoes squished into the mud as we walked to the barn. All part of the experience, I guess.

We had tacos to eat, and then karaoke in the pole barn afterwards, and even though we really didn't know anybody else there, we ended up having fun.

Back to the travel lodge, and into bed. It felt good to lay down, but then there was a wall unit that ran off and on all night long, and we couldn't figure out how to just turn the thing off. It made it hard to sleep.

Breakfast at the lodge was included, but there wasn't a lot to choose from. Now that I think of it, it was probably healthier that way. I had some raisin bran with milk, orange juice, and a hard boiled egg. There was no salt for my egg, but again that was probably healthier for me as I shouldn't really be eating a lot of salt, anyway. Bruce had toast, a hard boiled egg, and some yogurt. He really wanted a Danish, but they didn't have any.

In the afternoon when we got home, we tended the needy cats, and then drove to St. Paul for Leroy's Alley Party. I had made a pumpkin spice cake to bring before we went to the wedding, and I grabbed it out of the fridge. That whole neighborhood seems to show up for these events, and everyone brings really tasty food to share. It was fun. And, I kind of wish that we had a neighborhood more like that one. Maybe that's a difference  between suburb and city living.

Next wedding coming up will be in October ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!