Friday, August 24, 2018

Minnesota State Fair 2018












Off To The Fair!


We made it to the Fair!

This year we decided to go on the very first day. It was predicted that it would be less crowded, but that was not so! By the time we got to the Park and Ride, the lot was full and cars were lined way down the roads. We found our spot and then jumped on the bus, so much easier this way than dealing with traffic through the cities and trying to find parking there. I personally think that the weather people on the news made such a big deal about how the first day was going to be perfect weather, with steamy heat and rain then arriving for the rest of the time, that people skipped work and went early!

As always, food is on your mind when you're at the Fair. I wanted to try one of the new ones this year, an Irish tot thing with sauerkraut. We searched around a bit, but didn't see it so we decided to share a gyro and fries as blood sugars were dropping and that's not a good thing when you're at the Fair. And then we saw the O'Gara's stand, but at that time, we were too full to try them! Today there was a review of them by a food critic and he said that they were not all that great, so I felt a little bit better.

We finally found the roasted corn by the Big Slide. I need to remember that for next year.

And once more, the fried green tomatoes were so delicious. I think they are becoming a State Fair tradition for us.

We walked through the midway, the creative arts building, the agriculture building (and looked at the crop art), the 4H building (and sat awhile on a bench in there, so cool and peaceful), looked at the tractors, and saw a parade. Then we went to the barns. I think the sheep barn was the best this year, don't know why.

And then on a whim, I talked Bruce into going into the Haunted House with me. It was better than I remember from the last time I went, and I screamed my head off every time someone scary leaned into my face! It was so great!

The ride home took much longer than usual as the bus driver drove us through Minneapolis instead of just sticking to the freeway, but we didn't mind as it felt good to rest.

What would I do differently next year? Maybe the Big Ferris Wheel. That might be a stretch for me as I'm scared of heights, but why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!