Thursday, March 27, 2014

Poor Old Girl





Jessie's always been a bit of an itchy dog, but this past month she's been chewing on her rump and licking the hair off her back legs. I keep telling her that she's going to be bald if she doesn't stop, but she never listens to my advice. I've been giving her Benadryl and adding salmon oil to her food, but she's still chewing and licking. So yesterday I picked up a calming collar for her to wear, some bitter apple spray for her legs, and some hot spot spray to help relieve the itching on her rump. I also bought a new dog food for her, a grain free salmon one. After I first sprayed on the bitter apple to her back legs, she looked as if she was going to start licking, but then sort of sniffed and stopped. Yay! She seemed more comfortable during the evening and night, but it's anybody's guess as to what she does while I'm away at work.

I suppose there's always the cone of shame for her to wear, but maybe these things will work and we can avoid that. Poor thing.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your pup is so itchy. My dog had the same problem when he was young. One thing to consider is that she might be licking that area because it hurts, rather than because it itches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thought, Mad Hen, that also crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!