Friday, September 14, 2012

Jessie Update

Jess didn't seem to be much better when we got up this morning and was still holding her head kind of stiff and downward. I put her breakfast kibble out before I left for work, and for the first time ever, she wouldn't eat more than a bite or two. I left, feeling kind of sick to my stomach, but then was relieved to see her food was gone when I returned home. She was still acting pretty wimpy, though, whining and walking hunched over. The vet had called and left a message saying that all of her labs had come back normal, which was good, but left me wondering what to do next. Maybe she'd strained her neck? She has a tendency to bolt after squirrels and literally looks like she's going to strangle herself on her line sometimes. I looked around on the internet for information about giving aspirin to dogs. I called the vet, but found out they were closed today and tomorrow while they moved into their new building. So, I left a message, asking for advice.

 




After four hours of waiting for the vet to call back, I decided to just try giving her some aspirin, and drove to Target to see what I could find. I looked in the pet section and found aspirin formulated for dogs, liver flavored chews. I put a dose with her supper, and this time she ate everything! We then both took a rest, and after about an hour, Jessie started to perk up a bit. She started holding her head up more and then she started to rub her face on the chair, something she will commonly do but hasn't been doing all week. Then she snuggled her head between my knees.

And the vet? Called back after I had given the doggie aspirin. She left another message as we had gone out to grab a bite to eat. She said NO ASPIRIN, but if I wanted, I could call her back and she'd phone in a prescription for me to use. I've decided that a dose of doggie aspirin probably wouldn't hurt once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!