Sunday, September 3, 2023

Birthday

Sisters Weekend with Debbie and Gwen

I turned 64 this year. Which is amazing, because I don't feel 64 inside. It makes me think of my Grandpa Henry, who lived to 97 years old. He once said that he felt the same inside as he did when he was 18 years old. I love that!

Little boy picked out the flowers, Avi picked the chocolates, and Katie took me to the Zoo 


A couple of days before my birthday, I became reflective and remembered some birthdays of my past. They were in the early 1970's, and such happy memories. Mom would let us choose what kind of a cake we wanted her to bake. It was frequently a chocolate chocolate cake, but as I got older, I would request an angel food cake with strawberries and cool whip on top. I liked to sleep in until noon those days, and by the time I got up, the angel food cake was already baked and cooling, hanging upside down on an empty pop bottle. We also got to pick what we wanted for dinner, and I would always request Mom's fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy. Yum. 

A Birthday Movie chosen by Bruce


I did get to have a slumber party one year for my birthday, and a few of my friends came over. Mom made us tacos, and there was a bag of cheese Doritos. We had cans of orange or grape pop, and we slept in the basement on the orange shag carpet. We tried to stay up the whole night, of course, and we planned that if someone fell asleep before the rest, we would play tricks on them.  

From Nick 💜


Mom didn't remember my birthday this year. Every year now for many years, she would call and sing Happy Birthday to me. I knew that this day would eventually come. In the end, I decided not to remind her because I didn't want her to feel bad. At least I still have a voice mail of her singing to me from last year, I'm thankful for that.

My Birch Tree


This year, I said I wanted a Birch tree for my birthday from Bruce. I've become fascinated with Birch trees this summer, and thought a white paper Birch could be nice. But they were difficult to find this late in the season, so we settled on a Grey Birch tree that we found at Bachman's. Bruce planted it in the front yard. It's a pretty tree, with leaves that seem to shimmer when the wind blows.

Solar water fountain from Bruce, which scared away the birds 

A birthday celebration for Nick and me at Kobe


It was a nice birthday week. I felt the love, and received some very thoughtful gifts. I also ended up getting hearing aids my birthday week, which you can hardly see. I love them, and I now call them my Super Powers! 💚💛💜

First photo printed off the Kodak Instant Dock Printer from Jake and Brianna
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!