Thursday, May 13, 2021

Mother's Day 2021

There was a cake incident on Mother's Day this year, but more about that later. Grandma Joyce came over, as did Mark, Nick, and Jake and Brianna. We were all able to sit comfortably in the living room together, thanks to the new furniture we now have, and all seven of us were also able to fit around the dining room table, even if it was a little cozy.
I found bacon wrapped steaks that I decided to put on the grill. I've made this kind of steak only once before for Bruce and me, and that was in a skillet. They were delicious but, it would have been difficult to make 10 steaks in a skillet. Plus, grilling is kind of fun. I have to say, though, it was tricky in knowing how long to cook them all, and in the end, some were more well done than others. It's a learning curve, I guess.
Katie sent me flowers! Jake and Brianna brought flowers, too, and a neon light peace hand. I already showed it to little boy when we were skyping the next day, and he looked at it very intently. They gave Grandma Joyce flowers and popcorn, we gave Mom a beagle stuffed animal that looked very much like my childhood beagle named Ranger 7. And a box of peanut butter kiss cookies. Mark gave Mom and me chocolates. Bruce gave me an umbrella for our patio table, plus a box of chocolates, so I guess I'm all set for awhile! It was a very nice afternoon.
Now, on to the cake incident. I made a Black Forest Poke Cake, which was both light and rich at the same time, with cool whip and hot fudge topping. Yummy. Later, as I was putting it away in the fridge, it somehow slipped out of my hands to the floor! Of course it startled me, and I let out a scream, and it made a loud crash. Luckily the pan landed right side up and the cake stayed in the pan, but the plastic lid got cracked, and had to be tossed. I'm thinking that my hands were slippery with cool whip. And boy did it get everyone's attention!
Grandma Joyce is loving having her new stuffed animals to sleep with at night. I think they truly are a comfort to her now that Patches is gone. As for me, I'm feeling grateful for the chance to celebrate one more Mother's Day with Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!