Friday, July 19, 2019

The Bundtlettes





Jake had a birthday this week, and when somebody lives so far away, it's hard to know what to give them.

Then I remembered a story that Mom told me once.

When she was just out of high school, she followed her sisters to the big city to live (Minneapolis, of course), and when her birthday came around, her mom sent her a homemade cake in the mail, packed with popcorn. And love. 💕

What an idea!

I decided to send some little bundt cakes, and baked them with extra butter, extra eggs, extra milk, and with powdered sugar on the tops, instead of frosting.

It was kind of an experiment, really.

I over-filled the molds, and then they over-flowed. They looked like little monsters in the oven (WE'RE DONE!) and Katie and I decided to call them The Bundtlettes. We laughed so hard when we looked at them, even naming them ... Buddy, Barbara, Bruce, Bubba ...

I ended up shaving off the bottoms of them so they looked a little more normal, and called it good.

And then mailing them. People working in the post office are really serious about their jobs.

Anything fragile, liquid, combustable, perishable in the package? I had to make a decision as to whether to be honest, or just say no. I ended up saying that there were some homemade goodies in the box for my son's birthday. The guy didn't even crack a smile, and interrogated me about what exactly was in the box, that the box would not stay top side up, and that I would have a hard time claiming the $50 insurance should they end up ruined!

Well, they arrived in two days (WE'RE HERE!), tasted good (EAT US!), and were rather intact, although I'm not totally sure what that means ...

Success. I would do it all again.

Happy Birthday, Jacob! 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!