Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Mother's Day 2020

















It was a quiet Mother's Day this year, and I was a little sad about not being able to be with the kids or Mom. I'm trying to have a good attitude about it all, but the isolation that goes with living through a pandemic is starting to get to me. I know I have much to be grateful for, and I am, it's just kind of hard.

But. Bruce made us French Toast for breakfast, and gave me a bouquet of flowers. Also, a cool card with a pineapple on it. Katie, Avi, and baby Aaron  surprised me with a box of fine chocolates in the mail! And Jake and Nick sent me texts wishing me a Happy Mother's Day.

I decided to make a special dinner, and found a couple of No Name Steaks in the freezer to broil. It would have been fun to grill, but the weather turned nasty with cold and rain. We had special mashed potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, and Caesar salad with the steaks. I also found a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge.

I had already dropped off some candy and pretty rhinestone earrings for Mom on Friday, and we talked a few times on the phone throughout the day. I think the day was hard on her, too.

I also spent much of the day looking through old baby photos, and started putting them into albums for the boys. (I had already made some for Katie when she was living out of the country.) What better way to celebrate being a Mom? And, seriously, those albums will be wonderful to have in the future.

It's difficult to think that all this social distancing might become our new normal. I think about all the wasted, precious time for our elders living in high risk facilities, and not being able to be close to the people who love them. It's sad. But, I guess there's so much that's out of our control, and we do have to keep thinking positive about the future. Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, and thank you for your comments!